Saturday, October 25, 2008

October TIF

Here is the piece I came up with for October TIF Challenge. It represents what my textile work space means to me. It is made from a base of sweater felt which embellished with purple, deep red and gold silk roving. I then free motion embroidered on the machine with purple thread. I hand sewed the silk rods in place. I chose the colors for their warmth and richness. My textile space is comfy and cozy and fulfills a need in my life to have a space of my own for my creative endeavors. The silk rods were from Val - I traded with her and she sent these lovely dyed silk rods. They matched perfectly and represent the people I have "met" online and the online fiber community. I have learned so much from everyone and I really appreciate the openness and giving qualities in the online fiber community. The silk rods remind me of something organic and growing. I hope my workspace contributes positively to my continued growth in fiber art. I'm trying to decide if this needs anything else, perhaps beads? What do you think?
Here's a close up.

5 comments:

zquilts said...

Absolutely fabulous. I love it!

Tanguera said...

Love your explanation. What a lovely piece.

Kim said...

Gorgeous colors! How about a tiny bit of sparkle, for the magic of the muse?

Magpie Sue said...

I like the idea of beads to add sparkle to your TIF piece but I'm not sure where you'd put them! I really like the colors you've used. Love the basket of dyed wool in the next post up too.

How fun to see what's hanging in the La Conner Quilt Museum when I live so close but can't go see the work for myself! Thanks for sharing your photos :- )

DooflinkyDolls said...

Ruth, I here from the felting forum. What beautiful work you do! I really like your fine sense of color.

Joyce