Friday, November 21, 2008

November TIF

Here is my November TIF piece. It is 4"x6" and is going to be used for a "green" postcard exchange in December as well. Two projects in one or how to save time during a busy holiday season. This month's challenge was to use typography as design. I had a hard time getting enthused about this one. This piece has several layers and I originally planned to use some amorphous "letters" that I had stitched into some green organza but I didn't like it. So I added a layer of very light green silk hankie which looks white in the photo. And then added a large letter with stitch on dissolving fabric. Did you figure out the letter?

How about now? I was going to try and do the full word Green with a kind of optical illusion emphasizing the negative space around the type but the idea just didn't pan out as I wanted it to. So I kind of just winged it as I needed to finish.

Here's a close up view. I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving next week.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tree Stories Complete and a Postcard

I have both of my "quilts" completed for the Salvaged Threads Challenge being held by Cynthia St. Charles in Billings. I am a little concerned because they are not really what most people call quilts. But I've finally gotten better photos and will send them in soon. I won't find out until January though. This is Tree Stories I. It is based on tree rings that I've taken photos of in the woods around my house. This one also has "pine lichen" which I did with thread on water soluble fabric. The salvaged material is used in the tree stumps and then burned back. These pieces both measure about 10" x 14 1/2".

Here's a close up. I did lots of hand stitching on this one.

This is Tree Stories II. The base has layers of the salvaged materials which were free motion quilted and then burned back. I then added photos on silk and machined cord that is hand couched to the background.
Here's a close up.

This is a post card I received from Candi Harris. Beautiful fall colors and great embellishments. Thanks Candi!
I worked all day Friday on combing out/picking the wool from my last post (drowned sheep photo). I thought I could get it all taken care of in a day. HA! I don't think I've even done a 1/4 of the wool. Sigh - these things always take longer than expected, don't they? I have to agree with every one's comments that it is much simpler just to buy processed wool. This will be my last venture into buying it straight off the sheep!
I have started working on November TIF challenge but I'm not getting along very well with typography as a subject. It is not inspiring me too much. I have to do a "green" postcard for December so I think I'll try combining these two projects. Hope to show you something soon.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

A sheep drowned in my bathtub or what I did this weekend

I have had this fleece for ages and have been putting off washing it. Not a good plan. I washed it on Friday and even though it is significantly cleaner, it is still full of vegetable matter. It still has a lot of work to go. This is the reason you should buy processed wool - it is more expensive but you won't have your husband telling you that a sheep drowned in your bathtub!

I am also working on Christmas ornaments for two exchanges.

These are from fused silk paper.

And this is fuzzy photo of another part of the ornament. A few more embellishments, put it all together and "presto", ornament finished.

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dyeing on Halloween

This is what I did all day on Friday. I dyed wool for more felting projects which will include bags, ornaments and perhaps a few postcards.

This is a silk tank top. I am pretty much the opposite of Vicki when it comes to dyeing. I don't measure much and I pretty much leave everything up to serendipity. Of course, I never know how it will come out and I can't repeat anything that I end up liking but that doesn't really bother me. I just love the process and see what comes out of it.

Here are all the silk scarves that I did.

The one on the left is my favorite one.

Some of these were dyed back in the summer but I didn't really like them, so I over dyed several.

I liked how these two came out as well.

Kind of blah...

These last two also have oil paint sticks stenciled on. Altogether I am pleased with how they came out and will be putting them up for sale at my store. I am currently trying to make some hang tags for them but the programs I am using to do that are driving me crazy. I'm not sure why it has to take so long and end up not really looking like I want it to. I guess I'll keep trying. I'll post a photo if I ever can get one printed up that I like! Hope you had a happy Halloween.