Tuesday, September 30, 2008
I will be out of town for the first part of October. We're heading out to the coast of Washington for a vacation. This is a postcard I just finished for a Stitchin' Fingers postcard group swap. It's made with commercial batik fabrics, oil paint stick and organza. It was a little hard to get a photo as the light is bad and the organza is a bit shiny.
Here's a closeup of the leaf. The theme for the swap is autumn as if you couldn't tell. Usually I don't like to do themed swaps but since this is one of my favorite seasons, I managed.
One part of the trip that I'm very excited about it going to the Quilt Museum in La Conner Washington. Their current show is SiX Stories which includes the following: Bobby Britnell, Laura Kemshall, Linda Kemshall, Edwina MacKinnon, Catherine Nicholls and Marie Roper. I can't wait to see these quilts in person. More when I return...
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Sunday, September 21, 2008
I haven't had much time this week to work on anything but I did cut out some stencils. I tried using the Nautilus shell one but already tore it - sigh. So now I am attempting to use some gel medium to see if that will stiffen them up a bit. I only used card stock for the stencils and I guess I should have used something a bit stiffer. I'm hoping to use these to stencil some more scarves. More on this later.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Yesterday I got several sets of oil paint sticks. I decided that the scarves we had dyed back in July still needed a bit more color. Here is the first one. I stenciled both ends the same. I think I may over dye these again after the paint sticks dry and I heat set them.
Here's a photo showing both ends. Sorry about the quality of the photos. I need to get a better set up for taking photos. I'm planning on doing at least 2-3 more scarves this way. It was fun!
Friday, September 12, 2008
Here is my piece for the September TIF Challenge. The concept for this month is lists. I do use lists but it wasn't an idea that really excited me much for making a piece. But I looked up the definition of lists and one of those definitions is selvage or selvedge. While I was researching this a bit, I found a website that was all about how to make quilts from selvages. So I followed the
basic directions from there to make this piece. It was originally going to be a scroll but I don't really like it rolled up so it is going to be a small quiltie. These were all selvages from my scrap bin and I made the quilt double sided. The quilting of the piece was to further emphasize lines on a list.
Here's the back view.
This is a close up of my piece about stumps that I am continuing to work on. It's got a bit more to go and then I have ideas for several companion pieces. I need to have them done before January so I hope I'll have time to get them done. I've got more company coming and I have to work next Friday - bah humbug.
This was an experiment in my journal. It is a method for copying transfers to paper using of all things citrus based paint remover. But it worked great. I copied the music on to the page first and then added the color afterward with leftover dye. I was thinking of adding a pear in the foreground but haven't gotten to that yet.
Speaking of pears, here is a sketch that I made of some pears the other night.