Friday, August 14, 2009

So Disappointing

I debated with myself about posting about my recent disappointment with the Pfaff Embroidery Challenge but decided I should, since I had already posted about being accepted. I got an e-mail this week that the jury panel had not accepted my work since it wasn't 3D as they had expected. Apparently, they thought that my piece was 7 cm deep instead of .7 cm (7/10) as I had put on my form. I guess because I didn't put 0.7 cm, they didn't notice the decimal point. To say I was disappointed is putting it mildly. I would have much rather been notified at the very beginning that I didn't make it as opposed to thinking I had. The organizer apologized after I sent a return e-mail explaining the decimal point confusion but they are returning my piece. I'm not sure how they thought my piece was going to be 3D since a sample was required which was a near duplicate of half the piece but...

Anyways, now you can all see the piece entitled "The Landscape of Bark - Beneath Notice" that I entered. It is a 2D piece that is 18 x 27 cm. It is machine embroidery with on lay applique on a base of canvas. It is based on a photo of bark that I took in Glacier National Park. It represents a topographical map of bark as I always am reminded of topographical maps when I look at all my bark photos.

Here is a close up. I am trying to let this whole incident not upset me and felt much better after the apology. Next time I enter a piece, I won't be announcing acceptance until after I'm sure that it has been accepted. So I won't be coming to London this fall (even though I'm not sure I could have come even if I was in the show) and don't look for my piece at the Knitting and Stitching Show.

I have been working today on my machine embroidered poppy piece that I showed a preview of last week. I have all the background done and have started on the foreground. I'll post it as soon as it is completed. Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Machine Embroidery

Here is a machine embroidery piece that I have started today. It is loosely based on the photo of the California poppies that I posted about here. I am using canvas as a base and then I fused down various hand painted and hand dyed fabrics which I am stitching over. The canvas is stiff enough that I don't have to use a hoop.
Here's a close up of the background trees. I'll show you more once I get it stitched. I am debating on whether to do some poppies on dissoveable fabric to put in the foreground. I guess I'll decide once I get part of the foreground done. Thanks for all the positive comments on the jelly fish!