Friday, November 19, 2010

Design Focus Friday - More Line

 I've been focusing on the element of line this month. And so I see line everywhere. These are from Dharma Trading Company's supply of copper tjaps. Of course I picked out the organic lines instead of the geometric line patterns. After I had cut out these copies to put in my studio journal, I was throwing away the scraps and noticed that the black areas had been cut into lines. So I saved them.
 And made this collage of black and white lines. While I was working on this, I couldn't decide when a line becomes a shape. Is it a really thick line or is it a rectangle? I tried to not over think this process too much and just started gluing down the pieces. I couldn't manage to do the whole piece without any curves. But I like how it turned out.
 Then I tried this exercise where I had pairs of words and then I drew lines to represent the word. Again, I was trying not to over think the process. You can click on the photo to see it larger if needed.
Here's journal spread that I have been working on. I added some line to it but it isn't finished yet. I keep adding as something seems to fit or if I'm working with paint and have some left over. This definitely needs more work. What would you add to it?

2 comments:

LOVE STITCHING RED said...

Your line samples and observations are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing them.

red2white said...

the organic lines are especially beautiful and inspiring!