Saturday, July 31, 2010
Carmen has received her July page based on castles so I can show it to you. It is based on a photo of Nunney castle that I found online. It's an inside view of the ruins. It's all done with machine embroidery with the techniques I learned from Carol Shinn's book. I really liked this technique but it shrunk much more than I thought it would. Because the book pages are supposed to be a certain size, this was somewhat of a problem. I had to add an inch to the bottom after my first attempt turned out to be too short.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
This was the solar dyeing experiment when it started. I forgot to take a photo before I took it out of the jar. After I threw away the soggy, pickled mushrooms or toadstools or whatever they were, I used Synthrapol to clean the wool and then rinsed it out.
Here it is after being dyed. It's the wool on the right. I put it up next to some undyed white wool so you could see the change in it. It is kind of a pale, creamy color tending toward yellow. It was in the jar for four weeks and I thought I would see more of a brown to orange tone but it really didn't change all that much.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Saturday, July 3, 2010
I have been considering buying this book since it came out. I finally got the book and it has lots of good information. I am currently doing a machine embroidered page with the theme of castles for Carmen. So it is about half completed but I can't show it yet. I have used the techniques from this book and since the pages are not too big, it is a good way to practice. More later when I complete the page.