Saturday, October 22, 2011

Felted Bird House Adventures

 If you remember, I made three felted bird houses for Felt United Day. This dark purple one got put in the back of the house. Yesterday morning while eating breakfast, I looked up and the bird house was moving! It was jumping around and I thought a bird was inside and couldn't get out. But after watching a bit longer, I saw a different culprit.
 It was my friendly neighborhood squirrel. (click on the photo for a closer view) He is tearing it apart to get the wool. He has almost chewed completely through the felted loop. I wondered why it was looking so lumpy and out of shape.
Here he is with his stolen fiber. If you look at the lower right hand corner of the photo, you can see where he has almost chewed through four layers of felt! I'm going to get another metal hook and shorten the loop. I'll keep you posted. I guess I need to put out another fiber/nester for him.

4 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I put a rug out once, to dry and left it too long. I didn't realize the birds were pulling out the loops and left a hole in the burlap. I put our bird feeders in a scrub tree, it is full of thorns, so the squirrels won't climb it.

Debbie

SpinningDownUnder said...

I put some hand-dyed fibres outside to dry them in the breeze and covered them with wire racks, to find that the local bird population was queueing up to help themselves - its nesting season in the southern hemisphere.
This goes to prove that animals are not silly and will use whatever is serendipitiously at hand for their own purposes, no matter how alien it may be. Your squirrel just thinks you are being helpful!

Karen said...

Awww cheeky little squirrel, he's pretty cute though Ruth, well for us he is. I hope you can salvage the strap without to much work lol

narkeymarkey said...

oh my gosh! cheeky little squirrel :) not quite the use you were hoping for but useful none-the-less?!